Saturday, July 26, 2014

Dyslexic Radiologist

The PET scan on the 18th was uneventful- drink a jug of stuff similar to oobleck, followed by an I.V. dose of Lasix to stimulate my kidneys and radioactive sugar which came in a creepy looking metal tube, and then sit as still as possible for about 45 minutes.  After the scan however, I ended up taking a small side trip to the ER...  After getting up off the table, I felt a bit queasy.  I attributed this to not having eaten since the night before, and it was almost 5pm.  So I got a bite to eat, but as I sat on the bench outside of the hospital, I felt worse and worse and suddenly felt everything going dim.  A woman close by helped me put my head down and reminded me to breath deeply, and a nurse passing by called for help.  Unfortunately she called in an incorrect code and an entire emergency crew came running out.  About 15 people with machines, crash cart, gurney, etc...  I was starting to come out of it and was totally embarrassed.  I let them know I didn't need to go to the ER, but they strongly advised that I go get fully checked so off I went. 

Last Thursday I had an appointment with a radiation oncologist.  She went over the PET results and some of the treatment options.  The good news is that the recurrence seems to be only the 2 spots that we had seen in the CT and hasn't spread all over the abdomen or outside of it.  She also noted that the lymph node involved is on the right side, not the left like they had put in the CT report.  Doh. 

So now I'm waiting again until the appointment with my oncologist this Wednesday.  He'll have spoken with the radiation and chemotherapy teams and I'll get to see what's in store for me.  I'm feeling pretty impatient, but I'm semi-successfully trying to enjoy myself in the meantime.  

No comments:

Post a Comment