Thursday, July 12, 2012


More results- CA125 went up only by 1 this time, and last month's HE4 went up, but nothing that concerns the oncologist.  After talking about my latest test results, he asked if I had been around mice lately.  A very strange question!  He is wondering if I am having a Human Anti-mouse Antibody reaction.  When he said this, I had visions of Tom and Jerry and I wasn't sure if he was being serious or not.  But apparently mice antibodies are used in some treatments and radiology tests (not too sure about the details yet) and these can cause the CA125 test to show as elevated.  So my next blood test in 3 months will include one looking for the HAMA response.

An unrelated coincidence I'd like to note- I sat reading my book, Siddhartha by Herman Hesse waiting for the doctor.  The current intern came in to introduce himself, and guess what his name was?  Yes, it was Siddhartha.  

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Good news this time

The rollercoaster ride is  p

CA 125 went from 38 all the way down to 27!  HE4 results not back yet, but I'm suspecting it will go down too.

(This blog has really just become a way for me to track my numbers, since I can't remember things anymore.  Sorry for the tediousness.)

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Violence Girl

Yesterday I got the results of the second HE4 test- 37, a few notches down from the last one.  This is good!  So today I wasn't too nervous waiting on the exam table for the oncologist to arrive with the results of the latest CA125.  This is lucky, because as I waited, I read the passage from Alice Bag's autobiography, "Violence Girl", describing her sister's last weeks filled with unbearable pain before dying of cancer...  It's a great book, if you can't find it at your local bookshop, go buy it here.

Anyways, I did get my CA125 results, and it went up a little AGAIN.  Not thrilled.  It went from 31 to 38.  The doctor still isn't too concerned and we are once again in wait and see mode.  He said that my type of cancer doesn't hang around increasing in small amounts, that by now we would have seen a large spike in the numbers.  I would prefer to have zero indication of anything happening, but fine,  I'll take these creeping numbers and another 3 month reprieve.