Monday, February 2, 2015

More work to be done

Radiation therapy works by damaging DNA, especially of rapidly dividing cells like cancer.  It keeps working after treatment is finished, so I had to wait 3 months before doing a scan to see what was actually happening.  Of course our insurance company denied the PET scan, so I did an abdominal/ pelvic CT a couple of weeks ago, and it showed that the tumors are still there.  Smaller, but still there... 

Now I'm waiting for my appointment with the oncologist.  All I know so far, is that it looks like the plan is to continue treatment.  I did 2 of the 6 rounds of chemo before the radiation, so maybe I'll be picking up where I left off. 

I'm feeling surprisingly level about all of this.  These tumors were pretty small to begin with, and now they're smaller.  Chemo sucks, but I can deal with it.  Meditation helps and so does the tremendous amount of support being continuously offered by family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment